Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The day time stopped

On December 15th, 2011 I received a call from Robin that every parent hopes that they will never receive. I could immediately tell by the tone of her voice that something wasn't right. Robin told me that our son Brady was found at daycare not breathing and that he was being rushed to the hospital by Ambulance. Robin was closer to the hospital than our daycare so she beat the ambulance there. After those words left her lips she broke down and couldn't speak anymore. Someone at the hospital took the phone from her and told me that Brady went down for a nap at daycare and 20 minutes later he was found blue and not breathing. She said that Tracy (our daycare provider and friend), paramedics, and police had been working on him for 20+ minutes and he still didn't have a heart beat and wasn't breathing. I'm not a doctor but I know that anyone not breathing for 20-40 minutes has very little chance of survival. At that point I knew the situation was very grim. I told her that I was 60 miles south in Parker and if "anything needed to be announced" to wait until I got there. I knew in my heart that Brady was gone and I didn't want Robin to be alone when they stopped working on him.

I took the tollway to the hospital because knew that there would be little to no traffic. I called 911to give them a heads up on the situation as well was what I was driving. I wanted to be proactive with telling them so if a police vehicle observed me driving at a high rate of speed that would know what was up and would hopefully leave me alone. Just when I explained the situation I had flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I pulled over and the police officer asked me if I knew that I was going 105 miles per hour. I told him that my son was being rushed to the hospital and I didn't think he was going to make it. He told me to be safe and let me go. That was the longest 60 miles of my life. 

When I finally made it to the hospital someone was waiting for me in the front entrance. She immediately knew who I was and brought me to an empty room and sat me down. As soon as I sat down the doctor came in with a sad look on her face. She started to tell me that they worked on Brady for over 40 minutes and I stopped her there. I said "so basically you are telling me that Brady is gone". She said yes he was gone and they had an entire team of people that worked on him and there wasn't anything they could do. Unfortunately I didn't make it in time. I told her to take me to the room where my wife and son were. On my way to the room I saw several people who looked broken and devastated. These people were first responders, detectives, and the team of doctors that tried to save Brady. This was the first time I saw the impact this tragedy had on everyone. Everyone had broken hearts and we were all thrown into a terrible situation that we didn't deserve. I was taken to a room where my wife and Brady were located. I remember that I wanted to cry but the tears wouldn't come. Everything after that became a fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment