The more I go through this journey the more I learn about life. Working out on the treadmill gives me a lot of time to think about all aspects of my life (sometimes I think I have too much time to think). One thing that popped into my head last week while working out is that there really aren't any shortcuts in life.
Will buying a self help book on how to advance my career help me land my dream job? Nope. More than likely it will end up being a waste of 20 bucks. Will taking a diet pill give me my dream body? Fat chance (pun intended)! Will shoving my feelings and emotions in a closet help me speed up the grieving process? No, unfortunately avoiding grief does nasty things to the soul long term. The bigger things in life take a lot of hard work to get through and the only way to get through them is to do things the right way and to embrace the journey. I'm not one to cut corners.
In the last couple of weeks I've had a lot of people notice that that I've dropped quite a few pounds. Most of them weren't aware that I have been working to raise funds to help families who have lost a child to SIDS. I normally give a brief rundown on what I am doing to raise money. The next question I always get asked is how am I doing it. I'm doing it by eating right and by working out on a regular basis. Who would have known that the doctors were right about diet and exercise? I'm not going to starve my self and I am not going to live at the gym 24x7. I'm just going the things I should have been doing all along. Again I am doing this by doing things the right way.
The only thing that got Robin and I through the first month after we lost Brady is all of the support we received from friends, family, co-workers, and Angel Eyes. It's hard to comprehend what it would be like to lose a child and to not have a support system. It has been very healing to know that our journey will help others down the line that tragically lose a child to SIDS.
So far in 8 weeks I've lost a little over 36 lbs which will raise $2502 for Angel Eyes. I still have over 4 months left and lots of more weight to lose. I'll continue to check in from time to time with my progress.
Thanks to those who are supporting me or just following me through my endeavor.
-Brady's Dad
My wife and I lost our beautiful son Brady on 12/15/2011 to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. To help raise awareness of SIDS and unexpected child loss I am raising money to donate to angeleyes.org. Angel Eyes is a great organization that provides education to help prevent SIDS as well as counseling and bereavement support to those that have lost a child. How is this going to work? I'm going to lose weight! I'm looking for people to pledge a per pound amount they are willing to donate to the cause.
Sunday, June 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your commitment to turn all these experiences into personal growth opportunities is quite commendable. It is also comforting to know that you are there to help Robin along the same path. Adam, I continue to be impressed with the strength of character you demonstrate. I am very proud to call you my brother!
ReplyDelete